psos
space

Friday, March 21, 2008

Bells Beach Update: Big Day, Big Swell & Big Names Shine



Swell forecasters had predicted an increase swell this morning which was found accurate with 6-8 ft sets (2.5m) drawing crowds in early today.
ASP World No. 1 Kelly Slater (USA) came to the Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach to surf big waves. He took advantage of the eight foot (three metre) conditions on offer today to post the highest heat total and single wave score of day. The 8X World Champion left competitors Adriano de Souza (BRA) and wildcard Troy Brooks (AUS) needing big scores to beat him when he added a near perfect 9.50 wave score to an 8.00 earned earlier in the heat. "I didn't do a whole lot on that wave," Slater said. "I did one turn to start off with and then this section loomed up ahead of me that was crazy - it was so smooth, especially for what's out there. I had a ton of speed and I held the bottom turn as long as I could and was able to get that carve in. It reminded me of the turn I had in the final against Parko (Joel Parkinson) that one year." Slater defeated Joel Parkinson (AUS) in the Final of the 2006 Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach to win his second Rip Curl Pro trophy, but Parkinson can lay claim to trophy of his own. He earned it by beating Taj Burrow (AUS) in the event Final in 2004. Parkinson finished ahead of local surfer Nic Muscroft (AUS) and Ben Dunn (AUS) to advance straight to Round 3 today. "I expected Mushy (Muscroft) would be a really hard competitor," Parkinson said. "I had him on the Gold Coast and got him there and I’m sure he doesn't like to lose to someone twice. I expected him to come out with guns blazing and use his local knowledge. I think he’s probably one of the better guys out here." Parkinson's best wave, a 9.33 out of a possible 10, was the second highest single score of the day. "When I stood up, I knew it was going to be a good wave,” Parkinson said. “Although sometimes you get a wave like that and get off and wonder how it was. When I finished it, I thought it could have been a 5.0 or an 8.0, but then I heard the score and was happy.” Parkinson finished runner-up to the ASP World Title in 2002 and 2004 and has been considered one of Australia’s most likely contenders for a world championship ever since. Reigning ASP Champion Mick Fanning’s (AUS) recent title win has reignited a fire inside the Australian contingent – Parkisnon among them. “Mick showed us that it was all possible, especially with Andy and Kelly on tour,” Parkinson said. “He’s definitely opened doors for us all.” Fanning was forced to surf the sudden-death round for the first time in 15 events when Adrian Buchan (AUS) and wildcard Stuart Kennedy (AUS) bested him in Round 1. A relieved Fanning went on to eliminate Kennedy in their Round 2 rematch. “Round 2 sucks,” Fanning said. “My heat this morning was pretty tough. I think Adrian got a 6.0, everyone else was getting 3.0s and 4.0s and I was getting 1.0s and 2.0s, so it’s good to get through that heat and live to fight another day.”

Labels: ,