psos
space

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

High Performance Surfing for Day 2 SriLankan Airlines Pro





PASTA POINT, MALDIVES (Tuesday, June 10, 2008) – Perfect Pasta Point highlighted the true qualities of the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star PRIME SriLankan Airlines Pro with ideal winds and super clean fun waves in the four-to-six foot (2 metre) range allowing many of the world’s top surfers to display their incredible talents.
It’s the eighth year of what is widely regarded as one of the very best events on the ASP WQS and as history will show, this event seems to always score fantastic surf.
While it never gets gigantic Hawaiian style surf, or death defying Tahitian/Fiji barreling surf, what it does deliver is super consistent high quality surf in an environment that is ideal for professional surfing.
The No. 1 seed, current ASP World Tour campaigner Mick Campbell (AUS,) typified the sort of surfing required to win in the Maldives posting two excellent scores of an 8.67 and an 8.17 posting the days top scoring heat win over fellow Australian Mark Mathews in the opening Round 2 heat.
The former world No. 2 is loving the Maldives and appeared both confident and relaxed after his win today saying, “No pressure on myself here, I love it, all the pressure is for the other guys not me. The waves are pumping and in this climate you just love surfing. I’ve made the semi’s here a few years ago and it would be good to go one better.”
The surfer creating most interest at this event is undoubtedly the big Hawaiian Sunny Garcia. The veteran ASP World Tour surfer who won the ASP World Title in 2000 and has forever been a champion of the sport continues his impressive and determined comeback into professional surfing and he won his Round 2 heat today displaying his famous powerhouse moves and style.
Garcia posted 14.20 (out of a possible 20) for his top two scoring rides to comfortably win over Austin Ware (USA) on 12.84.
Garcia looks incredibly fit and appears to be gaining confidence as the season progresses. After his win today, the likeable Hawaiian said, “Everything is good for me at the moment. I love it here in the Maldives, I’m here with my soon to be wife Colleen and I’m really enjoying my surfing. Last year was depressing for me with court, prison, divorce and everything but now my life is on track and I’m feeling good.”
In relation to his fitness, Garcia went on to say, “I train hard, running every morning and then training with Colleen. I’m getting into good shape and after here I’ll go home and train even harder to lose more weight for the European leg of the tour.”
Other impressive Round 2 heat progressions today were posted by Dane Gudauskas (USA),Kekoa Bakalso (Haw), Damien Farenfort (ZAF) and Jihad Khodr (BRA).
Eight heats of Round 2 were completed today and with excellent waves expected tomorrow the remaining 16 round two heats look set to go. CLICK HERE for live webcast!

Labels: ,