psos
space

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Congratulations Andrew Doheny...#1 Junior in the Nation!



Reigning Open Juniors Champion Andrew Doheny and HSS Team rider standout solidified his position as the number one Junior in the nation. The 15-year-old from Newport Beach was cool and confident in his quest to defending his 2007 title. Doheny looked like he was in the comfort zone in every one of his heats including the final, just having fun, with his explosive arcs and smooth carves in the terrific Lowers conditions. A second 7.25 score for Doheny sealed the deal earning him his second consecutive Open Juniors title. Doheny became only the second surfer in NSSA history to accomplish this feat. Kalani Robb won back-to-back titles in 1992 and 1993. “It feels really, really good to defend my title,” Doheny said. “I went into the Nationals with a different attitude this year. I just wanted to have fun with it more. There were fun waves, classic Lowers for the finals and I just told myself to go out and have fun and go big. I had a really good JS board and just went out in my heats and freesurfed. It feels like my luck has changed over the years,” Doheny said. “I had gotten second so many times on ties and countbacks and whatnot so it feels good to be the guy in first.” When asked about the pressure of defending his ’07 title Doheny said, “It was almost less pressure for me. Everyone is expecting you not to do it.” Congrats Andrew on killing it at Nationals. Not content with shralping down south at Nationals, Andrew put in an amazing effort at the ASP Grade-4 Nike 6.0 sponsored Pier Pressure event held on the South Side of the HB pier. Advancing to the finals, Doheny was the last North American surfer standing against the overseas onslaught, and the young natural-footer put in a good effort against the domineering Australians in the Final. “I’m super stoked, because this is the best result of my life so far,” Doheny said. “I’m stoked to be the only guy from the United States in the Final.” In the grand scheme of things this ASP Grade-4 Pro Junior result will launch Doheny forward in the ASP North America Pro Junior ratings, increasing his chances for qualification of the Billabong ASP World Junior Championships. Watch out for this kid, he is taking over!

Labels: ,