psos
space

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Congratulations Courtney Conlogue NSSA Nationals Champ! We are so Stoked For You...



It was one of the heaviest Open Women’s finals ever despite 11-time champion Carissa Moore’s absence and Coco Ho’s astonishing upset in the Women’s quarterfinals. It would be a California Vs. Hawaii final with HSS’ own Courtney Conlogue holding it down for California along side Sage Erickson. Surfing for the Hawaii contingent was Malia Manuel and Leila Hurst. In the highly anticipated final, despite impressive heats prior to their final heats, both Hawaiians struggled to find their rhythm in the 35-minute Open Women’s/Governor’s Cup final and it turned into two woman showdown between Conlogue and Erickson. Erickson got off to an early lead sticking to her strongest weapon, a dynamic vertical backside. She posted a 7.5 and 6.25 on her first two waves. With Erickson sitting in first position midway through the final, Conlogue kept her cool knowing each wave could be the ultimate one. She took off on a right bomb went off the top and then raced a massive whitewater section, threw up a critical turn, free fell to the bottom, disappeared in a mountain of whitewater and then incomprehensibly reappeared as the entire beach erupted. The judges rewarded the ride with an 8.75 score. Courtney backed it up with a strong 8.0 ride on a left and after five years of unwavering determination, the 15-year-old from Santa Ana, Ca. would not be denied this time taking home her first National title and the esteemed Governor’s Cup. “It’s been five years, five gnarly years” an exuberant Conlogue said. “I was glad that heat was 35 minutes because the first 20 minutes I was sitting out the back waiting for a set. Most of the girls broke to the inside because of the long lull, but I told myself to stay outside and I was just meditating out there. Then that set right came to me. On that turn, I just went as hard as I could.” From opening day of the 2008 regular season it was abundantly clear that Conlogue was in hot pursuit. “I have been training really hard throughout this whole year with the goal of being National Champ. I lost out in the quarters last year so it kind of scorched me in the butt to train a lot harder knowing that the quality of surfing has got so much higher in the Womens. I knew I had to up my game. A few days I would wake up at 3:45 in the morning just to get down to Lowers early before the sun came up because I was hoping that little extra effort would get me to where I wanted to be this year. Conlogue knew her quest wasn't going to be a walk in the park. “This contest is so hard to win and the level was so high this year. Malia Manuel was killing it. Sage just had this amazing backhand at Lowers. Coco, Nage and Leila were all ripping.” During the National Championship Awards Banquet, professional surfer and four-time National Champion Kalani Robb presented Conlogue with the “Kalani Robb Most Inspirational Performance” award for her exceptional surfing display at the Nationals. Courtney accomplished the three championship category sweep in 2008 taking her fourth career Conference title, Regional title and now the Nationals and we’ll see if she can carry the momentum at the US Open this summer at Huntington Pier. “I really want to win the US Open so I’m going to prepare for that.” She also is aiming to defend her well deserved National title. “I’m planning on doing the NSSA through my senior year so I’m going to work hard to defend my National titles these last few years. That would be sick!”
Nice work Courtney!

Labels: ,